Friday, May 11, 2012

Captured: Career Day

Today was "Freshmen Career Exploration Day" - we recruited guest speakers to come be 'stationed' in the freshmen teachers' rooms and give presentations as the students went through their classes.  It was a fantastic day and I think that some students' perceptions of their future and their role in the world were widened a little more, which is extremely rewarding.

A nurse and dietician

Staff members of the Blackhawks speaking about 'behind the scenes' jobs in sports

A nuclear engineer speaking about careers in science

A Hoops High representative speaking about careers in broadcasting

A former forest ranger speaking about careers in forestry and parks and rec

A respiratory therapist speaking about her career and the dangers of smoking
 Excerpts from the reflection packets (it's funny how these are a lot of things we blab about to them all the time, but is so much more effective when it's brought to them concretely):


Listening to other people speak about their careers made me think:
I could be anything when I put my mind to it.
about how much math and science is in every career. 
that football isn’t the only job out there and I have more options. 
about staying in school and getting my bachelors and my masters degree.
that I should start discussing my future career with my counselors.  
about how hard work pays off.
about how I want to change my whole entire life.  

Something new I learned today is:
your education is everything – without it you cannot do well. 
that smoking is very bad for your health. 
there are all many kinds of careers that help make up this world.
nothing is impossible.
that we should value our education.

I think I would like a job that allows me to:
become who I want to be, pays a good salary, and makes me feel comfortable.
be creative and help save lives at the same time.
have fun with and be very passionate about. 
have fun, make enough money to provide for my needs and wants, and also to be able to say I did it all for a reason. 

1 comment: